Patient Advisory Council
The council meets quarterly and consists of current patients and staff members. We discuss ideas and suggestions to identify ways to improve the office for all the patients we serve.
Interested in Volunteering? We are currently looking for volunteers to join our Patient Advisory Council. You will be the voice for the patients of the practice, promoting improved relationships between patients, families, and staff. A candidate would be expected to commit to a 1 year term, (meeting 4 times in a year); be able to listen and share different points of view; and speak comfortably in a group.
If you would like to be on the Patient Advisory Council please ask Traba for information in our office, phone number 303-776-6872 or email [email protected]
This is a brief overview of meetings.
February 26, 2014
- First meeting overview including vision and mission statements and responsibilities of the council.
- Patient experiences were discussed with focus on access and communication with the office.
- Patient experiences were discussed with focus on nursing and provider care with emphasis on access to providers.
- Discussion and ideas to improve office website and improving access to the patient portal.
December 12, 2014
- Discussed things that are liked about the office and recommendations for improvement. Extending answering the phone through the noon hour and to allow prescription pick up was a recommendation. This was implemented January 26th 2015. Also recommended extending to evening hours one day a week.
March 25, 2015
- First meeting overview including vision and mission statement and responsibilities of the council.
- Discussed feasibility of texting providers. Decision was to utilize the patient portal.
June 3, 2015
- Council members would welcome infrequent, (maybe quarterly) emails sent. Information could include pneumonia shots for elderly and flu shots.
- Discussion of text messages to reach providers.
September 28, 2015
- Discussed ways to improve portal access.
- Members would like to be able to reset own password, instead of calling in. This will be a feature with the updated portal.
- Wonder whether portal has capability to remind patients to schedule a physical, or appt., if patients haven’t been in for a year or longer.
- Utilize phone message on hold with portal information, instead of music.
- These discussions have resulted in updating our current phone system with a new message on hold system.
December 2, 2015
- Discussed office portal
- Inconsistent speed and ability to log into portal.
- Very slow with computer and too slow to use on mobile phone.
- Discussed office portal
- Discussed office website
- Thought very outdated.
- Stock pictures (clip art) are too old.
- As a result of these discussions, a new website with direct portal access has been implemented.
- Discussed office website
March 23, 2016
- Discussion of phone tree versus receptionist answering all calls.
- Would hate to see personalized live phone person go away.
- Phone tree is helpful to route patients to the person they need to speak to.
- Don’t mind being on hold.
- Wait times are not too long.
- Real person — speaks to our practice as opposed to other clinics.
- Appreciate that phones are being answered at 7 am
July 13, 2016
- Discussed ways to educate patients about ER visits and related costs.
- Feedback given about seating in waiting room and building maintenance.
- Positive feedback regarding same day appointments and rapid responses to patient portal and on call providers.
- Discussion of other education opportunities for patents.
October 5, 2016
- Follow up discussion from previous meeting.
- Ideas and topics for possible presentations:
- Medicare information for 65 and older
- Downsizing: Independent and skilled facilities
- Springtime: something for parents with children
- Flu season.
- Survey questions.
December 14, 2016
- Members discussed questions to include in an office survey.
February 28, 2017
- New members introductions.
- Mission and vision statement.
- Discussion of office survey questions from last year patient advisory council.
- Review of existing survey questions
- 2 members are working on questions for survey.
July 18, 2017
- Members discussed survey questions.
- Rough draft of survey completed
- Nurses will hand out surveys to patients starting in August
- Council will review survey results at next meeting.
October 26, 2017
- Reviewed survey results. There were no concerns, high ratings were noted and no further recommendations based on findings.
- Qualitick Survey results reviewed. There were no concerns, high rating again noted and no recommendations for further action based on findings
- Social Determinants of Care: Presented overview of importance of social determinants of care in health care. Reviewed a sample toolkit and suggestions were made to reword questions that would be relevant to our patient population. Plan to develop a screening tool to identify patient areas of need and utilize local community resources to help meet those needs of patients
- Other: Chairs in waiting room to be updated. members are working on questions for survey.
- Follow up meeting in January.
March 22, 2018
- Introduction and review of goals of improving patient experience and what we can do to improve that experience
- Social Determinants of Care: Screen tool developed and rolled out last week. Improvements to wording of questions was made. Utilizing Colorado 211 for referrals.
- Access: Report that no problems with access by council members.
- Group Visits: Concept discussed, questions answered. Will plan to proceed with setting up.
September 20, 2018
- New members introduction with review of goals of improving patient experience.
- Report on Social Determinants of Care screening tool. Now being used with most patient visits.
- Access: Reviewed appoints, phone access, hours. Members felt access was good and no additional recommendations made.
- Discussed credit card on file and impact on patient’s experience in the office. Committee felt it was reasonable. Recommendation to use more of a targeted approach. Start with new patients, extend to patients receiving multiple statements where collections is more of an issue. Allow established patients the option as this might be an easier solution for them. Recommendation to present the change in a way to not only simplify our collections but to simplify payments to our office for the patient.
- Discussed access, felt to be acceptable.
- Reviewed office mission and vision statements as well as introduction page to web site. Improvements were made.
- Waiting room suggestion box discussed. Phrase as “Be part of our team. Do you have suggestions?” Will look into implementing.
- Discussed possible need for virtual visits. Will continue looking at options for this.
- Discussed behavioral heath integration in office. Looking for a person to take over Ariana’s position.
- Next meeting March 14th.
If you have any concerns, comments or suggestions, or if you would like to volunteer for the Patient Advisory Council, we would value your feedback. Please contact Gena in the office, by phone 303-776-6872, or email at [email protected]